Personal Learning Network

Pink and blue swirls on a white background.
I had to choose five individuals that would be apart of my personal learning network. These are not just five random people but individuals that will be a contributing factor in my professional and personal life as a teacher. When I selected these five, I thought about not only what they do, but how the add to my career and how they will effect the lives of my students and their parents. The goal of networking is not just see what you can get for yourself but how you can help someone else, that is what helps the network grow.


The first person in my network I follow on Twitter (ali1st). She is a licensed counselor and provides great encouragement and a positive attitude. As a teacher I know that I will run across situations that maybe emotional overwhelming for me. I also love the fact she has insight on emotional and behavior disorders so she can help me see how to better help my students. I plan on moving to the city she lives in so I could even refer my parents if the inquire, to her for help with family issues outside of the classroom. It is so important that students receive not only educational instruction but emotional and behavioral guidance. Parents do not always know how to help their children and proffesional help can guide them through difficult transitions in a child's life.


I have a lawyer I follow on Twitter (lawyeratlanta ). As a special education teacher there are many laws related to teaching a special needs children. Not only for the students educational protection and rights but laws for parents and teachers. Being able to understand the rules and how the protect and benefit all involved is important. Having a trained, knowledgeable professional is the best way to make sure that everyone is giving the child the best educational experience and helping them to achieve in a already complex world
My friend (Nicole Wilson) I have as a friend on Facebook. She is also a Special Education Major and being in the same field with someone helps me to be able to relate and share ideas for my classroom. Teachers have a special bond that keeps them connected and the experience that we gain form one another is priceless. Being able to collaborate and understanding what each one is going through while in school is a good feeling. She offers a insight that only a Special Education Major can have and encouragement to keep going.


Dr Strange is a new addition, I just recently added him as a person I follow on Twitter (drjohnhadley). Dr Strange has years of technical experience in the classroom and is very willing to show and explain how to use this information to benefit me as a teacher. I have learned so much from his blogs and podcast that I know he is the right person to have in my PLN. I want to be able to offer my students every technological advancement that is available, so that they can achieve great things in the classroom and in their adult life. Not only does Dr Strange posses a wealth of knowledge he is connected to a list exceptional educators that also contribute to helping me grow as a teacher. A special thanks to my teacher Ms Averitt for all her hard work.


I also follow my pastor (Elder James Simon) on Facebook. He just retired from being history teacher at Williamson H.S. and not only gives in the classroom advice but spiritual guidance. He would tell be about his mother, the first black graduate of South Alabama and how her hard work paid off. I know that that is because of God that I am able to accomplish everything I have. Elder Simon helps me to see the need of the child not the issues of the child. He has taught elementary and high school in low income areas and knows how to deal with the difficulties through pray and love. The classroom stories he shares both good an bad help me see that I can make a difference in a child's life and that difference needs to be positive. He has had the opportunity to teach students and their children. He is full of care and understanding and gives what ever advice I need to succeed.



Comments

  1. Great job Brigit. I hope you continue to follow these individuals and sites after you begin teaching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Wiki Be Trusted?

See You Later

Teachers teaching Teachers